Monday, December 7, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Ah, the Christmas spirit is flowing freely in the Bell household. Tonight, we took the kids to the Christmas parade in "town". We live in a tiny little suburb, so the next city over is considered "town". It's still a relatively small city, but it's a lot bigger that the tiny hamlet we live in.

We had a delicious (seriously) dinner at Subway and then headed downtown for the parade. We were early so we stopped in a local coffee shop on the town square for hot chocolate (for me) and coffee for Mike & Olivia. Olivia, of course, got decaf. She loves the taste of coffee, too funny.

The kids both loved the parade. I had Phillip swaddled in blankets in his stroller, but that didn't last for long. He wanted to stand beside us and wave at the floats. He refused to keep his mittens on, so I'm sure we looked like very negligent parents.

Phillp is really coming out of his shell. He loves to wave and say "hi" to everyone he sees. He is developing a great vocabulary, this morning he told his sister to "hush".

Speaking of sister, I am really having a hard time with her. I guess it's just growing pains, but it seems like every conversation we have ends with yelling and tears (on her end). She is very emotional and quick tempered right now, I have a feeling that puberty is right around the corner. I just keep loving her and hoping that we wind up with a functional mother/daughter relationship when it's all said and done.

My in-laws will be here Wednesday. They are staying until after Christmas. This is the first time in 10 years of marriage and 14 years of togetherness that they have been here at Christmas. Mike is super excited. I am a little worried. I love them and all, but I am just nervous about having to adjust all my traditions. That's what marriage is, I guess.

They did get the kids some great presents. My MIL is super about that. She just calls me up and tells me to order them what they want and she will pay for it. Olivia has a whole new bedroom collection coming, a new quilt, curtains, sheets, bedskirt, etc. Phillip is getting a big toybox.

Mike's parents are getting older, they are 72 & 77. His father has Parkinson's disease. I know my kids won't have them around forever, so we are going to cherish this Christmas.

That's all for now, I got all of 3 hours of sleep last night, so I think I'm going to crash!

No comments: